Wednesday, January 27, 2010

six degrees of separation

For all of you Oprah watchers out there, I have a famous student.



On Monday, Rosie O'Donnell was on Oprah. She talked about her new girlfriend and their plans to move to New York and get married. She also talked about the children of her new girlfriend. And one of those is my student!



When I taught in Pearland, I had the daughter of a famous basketball player. I admit that I "lost" her safety agreement and had her parents sign another one. I think I gave one to my brother and I found the other in my attic when we moved from BV to Tiki. I am not sure what I planned on doing with it, but at the time I am sure I had big plans.



Back to now. Rosie was in Galveston over Thanksgiving and my student came back talking about the big secret and hinting as to what was going on. Then she and her family went to Miami for Christmas break and it was reported in People. This made her a minor celebrity in my fifth period class. But then her picture is on Oprah, this gets reported on the news and somehow all my kids hear about it. Tuesday in class there was no way the kids were going to listen to me and learn about boring old Isaac Newton. They wanted to know what it was like to be rich! I wonder who will come to the next parent teacher conference?

No comments: